Friday, September 18, 2009

Post.

While sitting in the back of Devin's car on a the long drive from Boston to Fredericton, I started writing notes about things that would be SO GOOD to blog about once I eventually reached a functioning computer. However, since said note scrawling (in the dark, I may add), I have lost my love for the notes I made. My notes are also not with me, so this is mostly going by memory, as I try to do them justice.

But first, I burnt myself on a toaster oven AGAIN. I'm so overly cautious and fearful of hot things, yet I always manage to forget the toaster oven door will be hot when you accidentally knick it with your finger. Sob.

The Sky.
I was looking out the back window of the car (much like a cat or a small child would - obviously I am very concerned about the relationship between body language and level of maturity) up at the stars. The stars were quite impressive given most of the day had been filled with clouds, much of it with rain.

I don't know very much about the sky, other than it's there. At what point does the sky actually begin? In theory, once the ground ends? I know there are different levels of atmosphere, but has sky been defined to start at a certain height? If my thought about "when the ground ends" is correct, then arguably we walk on the ground, but our head is in the sky. Wikipedia has not offered me much help, but at least showed this nice picture. I believe the quest for knowledge much go further.

The Stars.
>The sky was filled with stars, so Jen Brain went there next. Why are some stars brighter than others? I figured because they are either newer(?) or closer to Earth. Or perhaps larger. According to unreliable sources (the Internet), I am right with each three hypothesis. I also realised my source of "how stars get there" is from Greek mythology. For example, Heracles (aka Hercules in Roman mythology) killed the Nemean Lion as part of his 12 labours. When he presented the dead lion's skin to the person who gave him the labours (King Eurystheus), the King apparently put the remains (?) or something in the sky, and made the constellation Leo. He also gave the pelt to Heracles... so I'm not sure what went into the sky exactly. In mythology constellations were often made to honour someone, or the person/thing was put there for some reason.

Seeing the sky so deep pretty much convinces me there is life out there in another form. Not necessarily the weird green aliens portrayed in media, but at least some strain of bacteria. Funny, but the next night I ended up watching a Discovery Channel show on that. What caught me about the show was mostly how much the scientists seemed to love their work. Imagine that, loving work. Hmm.

1776
Boston was pretty much a flood of US history. I bought a wee book intended to be a guide to the Freedom Trail, but purchased it after we left Boston. When I was reading it on the Long Drive, I was thinking about the different paths Canada and the US took after the US was officially declared independent of Britain. If the revolutionary war never took place, would North America (less Mexico) still belong to the United Kingdom? Realistically, probably not. However, I can understand why Canadians, particularly Quebecois, were angry about fighting in WWI as Britain, and not Canada. What ties were truly left to the Head of State at that point? To my knowledge the governing system then was pretty much the same as the one we have now, just with more provinces/territories incorporated.

Well, I find this so boring I'm not even going to reread this for spelling/grammatical mistakes. It's almost the weekend, I want it now. My finger hurts. I wish I had a chocolate bar.

Etcetera. Which I don't even know how to spell. Etc.

1 comment:

Charlene said...

Yay!!
My head is in the sky!!! I knew it all along :D