Friday, August 21, 2009

Where are you?

I am sitting in the basement of a hostel in a secret location... No, not so much. Well, yes, actually. Because I *am* sitting the basement, at a hostel, at a location I am not revealing. I shall give hints: I can see the US from this city - a city that I'm convinced occurred after Las Vegas had a mad love affair with I-Drive [Orlando] and Sunset Blvd [LA] stopped in to get in on the action. Ashamed at what was produced, the mother quickly gave the offspring up for adoption, and Canada embraced the awkward child.

Niagara Falls was born. [Oops, gave away location. But by the time potential stalkers read this I'll be in Baby Echo ("Boyfriend") bombing towards the US.]

Shan and I stopped in a couple of wineries in Niagara-on-the-Lake today. Summer is not meant for wine. Perhaps beer has overtaken my taste buds in this delightful season, but 28C does not make me want to drink wine. I find it.. smacky. It makes me smack my lips in a bad way, wishing I had something more refreshing as I furrow my brows. Wine does not quench my thirst. It's like being hungry and someone saying, "Oh, don't worry, I have chewing tobacco you can have."

Yuck. What?

Unrelated: In the right column of my blog I have a wee map of the world that shows where readers are from based on their... oh crap... ISN, no, ISP.. I... something... number. Apparently the Brain does not comprehend acronyms after 1h30am local time. So the wee map brings me much amusement, and I get giddy as new dots appear on the image. The largest dot is over PEI, which is not surprising. My parents (Hi Mom! Hi Dad! I'm still alive and well in Upper Canada!) have my blog as their homepage, because they love me and find me to be a hilarious addition to their family, and I, also on PEI, sometimes go back and read my blog to laugh at myself. Other dots are also obvious: Ottawa/Kingston/Montreal and Toronto/Guelph/Kitchener/other (they kind of blur together and provincial/territorial boundaries are not shown) as I know many people in these regions who also love me... or love to laugh at me. Either or, the dots in these regions are bigger.

But then, there are mystery dots. People who I do not know at all. Once someone visited my blog from Brasil. Two hits from Malaysia. This excites me greatly. When I looked at the map this evening there was a new dot smack in the middle of the US. Without state boundaries being shown, I can't really tell exactly where it is... but I'm sure it's a lovely place! Also, I now have a dot in Australia!! This is extremely significant, as I now have dots in all continents except Antarctica, which isn't even on my map (though I doubt I would have a dot there anyway).

Change of subject: dressing up [I'm getting tired.. when proofreading this I could tell my brain was starting to shut down.]

Today I am wearing a dress. It's one of my favourite clothing pieces in the world, particularly on humid days. The thing about dresses is that you suddenly look "dressed up" if you are wearing them. This one isn't so bad though, which I like. But I kind of did look dressed up today because my hair looked 'up-doish' because I had it knotted on the top of my head due to the intense heat. I was also wearing a ring because I had purchased a new ring ($1.25! Rock on 10,000 villages) and felt the best way not to lose it was to wear it. (Success! Ring has yet to be lost 10 hours later. Sigh of relief.) So I looked dressed up. However, I will let you in on a secret: I was not dressed up. The dress was for air flow purposes in the warm car. It also has no straps. The less skin touching fabric, the better. The hair took .4 seconds to put up. Sneezing would take longer. The ring cost less then a jar of pasta sauce.

I ramble, and sound silly, but the point is, dresses are easy; wearing them is practically cheating. I like them because there is no need to match things. Put on dress. Put on shoes. Leave house. No worrying that shorts/shirt clash. If the dress is clean, the whole outfit is clean. No putting on one clothing item to realise the matching item has a giant blob of mystery goop.

Damn mystery goop!! *shakes fist*

It's a holiday at home on Friday/tomorrow/today.

Happy Gold Cup day! Happy long weekend to all, and to all, a good night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you on your journeys and also glad you are enjoying yourselves....have mucho funo!!

Anonymous said...

Very creative N Falls creation description
Run that by your old school English tecahers and see what they they think
Cant wait for your foist book to be written

Jen said...

You leave lovely comments but I have no idea who you are :(
But that's okay, I will pretend you are one of my mystery dots !

Char said...

You took my blah day and made it fabulous!!! All because you posted!!!

I miss you... it seems like much longer than 2 days ago that you left...and that is a very bad sentence, but I know you will still love me!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sorry Daugh, first from M
second from P