Monday, March 29, 2010

No-Go Earth Hour

Despite being a quasi-environmentalist (quasi: having some, but not all of the features of) I did not participate in Earth Hour. The primary reason was 1) I forgot, and 2) I'm scared of flames and candles.

I was watching the Weather Network a couple of days before the event (such quality tv) and a man was discussing what he hopes people get out of Earth Hour: realising that they do not need to rely so much on electricity. He was hoping people would hang out their laundry that day, and not use the dryer. He hoped people would wash their clothes in cold water. They would turn off the lights when they leave a room.

I am the meteorologist's hero, for I already do those things. Therefore, according to him, I did not need to participate in Earth Hour.

But maybe I'm not the norm, and I hope someone who did participate in Earth Hour on Saturday night realised where they were using electricity when it was not necessary.

I'm actually having feelings of catholic guilt for having two lights on in my office a la moment. My usual light is a mini one attached to my desk, above my laptop. It's all I really need until late afternoon unless it's particularly dark and gloomy outside. However, I have the actual lights to my office on because my office is cold, and the lights heat it up. Maybe I'll dash around the building to warm up.

Upon re-reading what I wrote, I sound like a tool. I blame the dark clouds in the sky, they increase my tool factor.

Oh Monday morning. So tired.

No comments: